06 December 2014

Dear Santa...NEHGS Books, Please!

I remember the joy I would get as a child when the Sears Christmas Catalog arrived in the mail.  I would pour through the catalog dreaming of all the things that I would like to see under the tree Christmas morning. The list usually included toys, games, and books.  The list included jewelry as I got older.  I thought their jewelry was gorgeous.  I could spend hours looking at this catalog.  I am sure by the time Christmas came the catalog was in pretty bad shape.

I feel the same way about another catalog, the New England Historic Genealogical Society Books and Gifts one. The catalog has changed but my enjoyment of browsing it hasn't!  Now, I could spend hours looking through this catalog.  Times have changed and I view the catalog online, but my wish list isn't diminished because of this.  I am not able to turn the corners of the page down or circle items, but I manage to pour through it nevertheless.

This year's catalog did not disappoint.  I would be happy with any of the books in the catalog.  I think NEHGS books are of the finest quality.  I have many in my library already, but there are many more I would like.

I have been an avid reader for as long as I can remember.  My dad took me to the public library for the first time when I was seven and I have been a lover of books ever since.  I remember many bike rides to the library to check out books.  I remember being excited whenever a Scholastic Book Fair came to school.  I loved seeing the monthly Scholastic book flyer.  Books were an important part of my childhood and it has grown just as I have grown.

This year as I was perusing the catalog and NEHGS announced their book bundles, my husband suggested I pick a bundle I would like.  He may have been sorry he said that because if I was picking a bundle, I was going big!  I chose the Ultimate Robert Charles Anderson Bundle.

The Ultimate Robert Charles Anderson set contains 14 essential volumes:

  • The Great Migration Begins, 1620-1633 (in 3 volumes)
  • The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635 (in 7 volumes)
  • Elements of Genealogical Analysis (the author's latest best seller!)
  • The Great Migration Newsletter, Volumes 1-20
  • The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony, 1620-1633
  • The Winthrop Fleet: Massachusetts Bay Colony Immigrants to New England, 1629-1630

This bundle has a price tag of $600 which would be way over budget for him to buy, but this would be a dream gift.  I did chose other bundles number two or four and individual books I would like.

The Great Migration Holiday Bundle 2 contains 11 volumes:

  • The Great Migration Begins, 1620-1633 (in 3 volumes)
  • The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635 (in 7 volumes)
  • The Pilgrim Migration: Immigrants to Plymouth Colony, 1620-1633

The Great Migration Holiday Bundle 4 contains 10 volumes:
  • The Great Migration Begins, 1620-1633 (in 3 volumes)
  • The Great Migration, Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635 (in 7 volumes)
The History and Antiquities of Every Town in Massachusetts

Elements of Genealogical Analysis

Planters of the Commonwealth- This one will be under the tree as a gift from my parents.  

I would be ecstatic with any of the individual books in any of the bundles.  I have been a good girl Santa and can't wait to see what is under the tree this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment