24 November 2014

Latest NEHGS Poll Shows I Have Too Many Books

The Weekly Genealogist Survey
Last week's survey asked the approximate number of books in your personal genealogical library. 4,131 people answered the survey. The results are:
  • 12%, 0-10  
  • 16%, 11-25   
  • 13%, 26-50   
  • 6%, 51-75   
  • 4%, 76-100   
  • 3%, 101-150   
  • 2%, 151-200   
  • 2%, 201-250   
  • 3%, 251-1,000   
  • 1%, Over 1,000    


Source: The Weekly Genealogist, Vol. 17, No. 47, Whole #714, November 19, 2014

Each week, New England Historic Genealogical Society, NEHGS, has a survey in their The Weekly Genealogist newsletter.  The results above were published on November 19, 2014.  I am in the 51-75 category or 6% of the 4131 respondents.  I love books and keep a wish list of books I would like to get as gifts.  

I wrote about my genealogy library and how I keep my costs under control in February.  I am still practicing those cost savings today.  It has been harder as I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that many genealogy companies have been having sales on books.  I have had a hard time controlling myself.  I have been adding to my wish list instead of buying them for myself.

The companies that I received email notices about sales are: 
Part of my genealogy library

I have been asked if I read all of the books I have. Yes, I do! I keep the ones I haven't read on a separate bookshelf and after I read it I put it on my genealogy bookshelf.  Currently, I have two books to read and one book to finish.  When it comes time to conduct research, I will pick a book to use depending on my area of research.  For example, when I am doing German research I will have four or five books on my desk. One might be a general research help book, one a map book, another has a list of online resources, a German dictionary and so on.

This year's wish list includes the following:
  1. History and Antiquities of Every Town in Massachusetts by John Warner Barber
  2. Genealogy Toolkit: Getting Started on Your Family History at the National Archives
  3. Our Daily Bread: German Village Life, 1500-1850 by Teva J. Scheer
  4. Elements of Genealogical Analysis by Robert Charles Anderson
  5. Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies by Hugh F. Gingerich and Rachel W. Kreider
  6. The Planters of the Commonwealth by Charles Edward Banks (on order a gift from my parents)
I don't know if Santa will bring me any of my wish list or not.  Santa may think it isn't a very good gift, but it is.  I pour over the NEHGS gift catalog like I use to poor over the Sears Christmas catalog! I read every entry and circle ones I would like to have.

If you are curious about what books I have in My Library check the pages at the top of the blog.  I have recently updated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment