29 May 2014

Thankful Thursday: Translation of Wilhelmine Fredrich Birth Extract

More information on this record can be found here

Where would our blogs be without readers?  My blog readers are THE BEST!  I certainly appreciate all the comments that have been written on my blog.  I reply to each and every one.  It is one of the parts of blogging that I enjoy.  I appreciate the emails I have gotten asking for more information or giving me more information. 

I especially appreciate a reader that was willing to translate a German Record for me. I was grateful when I received a translation of the above image, from one of my blog readers, Rafael.  What a generous reader! Here is the translation below along with Rafael's notes.  Thank you so much, Rafael.

Extract
from the Birth Register of the Protestant Congregation of _Schubin_
Year 1832, Number 101
Given name and surname:
Wilhelmine Fredrich, Protestant1
Name, Profession and Place of Residence of Father:
Christoph Fredrich, _____2, Baerenbruch, Protestant1
Of Mother:
Susanna née Koenig, Protestant1
Year, Month and Day of Birth
1832 (Eighteen Hundred Thirty-Two
(in letters and numbers):
The 18th Eighteenth of September
Place of Birth:
Baerenbruch, Schubin District3
Date of Christening:
The 30th of September 1832
The accuracy of the above extract is certified by a stamp bearing the church seal.
Schubin, the 5th of February, 1938
Parish Office of the Protestant Church
[Illegible signature]
[Text of inked stamp on either side of document, in Polish: “Board of the Protestant Church in Szubin”]

[Text of revenue stamp, bottom right, in Polish: “1 Złoty Revenue Stamp”]

1. I’m 90% certain that the handwritten abbreviation that comes at the end of each family member’s entry is evang., which means ‘Protestant’ and makes perfect sense in context.

2. The handwritten entry for the father’s profession is unclear. The first half of the word may well be ‘Firms-’ (meaning ‘company,’ in the sense of a commercial enterprise or business), so the father could have been involved with a business of some kind.

3. I’ve translated the German word Kreis as ‘district’ here, but it can also be translated as ‘county,’ since either word can signify an administrative subdivision of a province or state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment