The first induction into the MHSCA Hall of Fame took place in 1957. The original Hall of Fame room was at Win Schuler's Restaurant in Marshall, Michigan. Eventually, it was moved to the Student Services Building of Central Michigan University (CMU). Currently, it is housed in the Student Activities Center next to the Dan Rose Arena at CMU. Over 500 coaches have been awarded this honor.
Qualifications for induction into the MHSCA Hall of Fame are: one must have served a minimum of twenty-five years in high school coaching and/or athletic administration, have exemplified service to his/her community, state and affiliated organizations.
My dad's qualifications include:
- 36 years as a basketball coach
- 7 Conference and 8 Michigan High School Athletic Association District titles
- 18 years as a golf coach with 2 league, 1 regional and 1 runner-up titles
- Class C Regional Boys Coach of the Year in Golf, in 1995
- Class C State Boys Coach of the Year in Golf, in 1995
- 3 years as a baseball coach
- 33 years as a football coach
- 17 years as a track coach
- 26 years as an athletic director
- Charter Member of the Michigan High School Coaches Association.
As you can see my father was well deserving of this award. My father was a coach in Michigan and Texas throughout his career. The schools my father coached or was an athletic director at included:
- Brethren High School, Brethren, Michigan
- Kingsley High School, Kingsley, Michigan
- Deckerville Community Schools, Deckerville, Michigan
- Harbor Beach Community Schools, Harbor Beach, Michigan
- Strickland Middle School, Denton, Texas
- Hackett Catholic Central High School, Kalamazoo, Michigan
The family celebrating Dad's induction.
The Hall of Fame induction was a wonderful opportunity for our family to celebrate all of my father's accomplishments. My two sisters, brother and I were all in attendance for this award, given at the Terrace Room in the Student Services Center at Central Michigan University on 21 September 2003. In addition, a number of my father's former athletes attended. It was a wonderful experience and one I am sure my dad won't forget.
My dad in front of the picture of his high school coach, Coach Grba. Coach Grba is the one standing by the fence.
After the induction ceremony we visited the Hall of Fame room. It is a room filled with plaques of the MHSCA recipients. One recipient was my father's high school coach, Mr. Grba. It was a beautiful fall day and one that will be treasured in our family history.
Outside the Student Activities Center, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan