01 March 2013

The Terrible Two's are Behind Me

Over 470 posts later and I am still at it.  I started writing "Journey to the Past" on March 1, 2010.  Today marks my third blogiversary.

I wasn't sure I would last for three months let alone three years.  I have learned a lot during these past three years.  I have wonderful readers who help me when I pose a question.  My readers are always there to add information to what I have written.  I am very thankful for all of you who have supported me in my blogging pursuit.

Another generous group is the geneabloggers group.  Little did I know when I wrote that first blog post that I would find such a wonderful group of people to associate with.  No matter what the question is, I have found supportive people to help me.  I am truly grateful for that.  I have met other geneabloggers at conferences, meet ups, and workshops.  I am proud to be a part of it.

My blog has evolved through the years and I imagine it will continue to do so.  The first year I was all over the place.  I wrote my own family history posts, wrote about tips, technology, genealogy software, and local history.  It was a hodge-podge of information.

The second year I tried to hone my writing skills and concentrate on telling family stories.  I shared pictures and documents that I had found.  I tried to concentrate on blogging about my ancestors.  I didn't write as much about the other aspects of genealogy.

This past year I really paid attention to my writing and sourcing of family history material.  I think I have finally found a balance between blogging and researching. Blogging has definitely made my research better.  I even felt comfortable enough to start a second blog, "Journey to His Past".  Ay yi yi!  What was I thinking?  I know what I was thinking and it was kind of selfish.  I didn't want to share my blog with my husband's ancestors.  I wanted a separate place to record the research I had done on his family.

What will Year four bring?  I don't know, yet.  I hope it will continue to bring new found cousins.  I have been in contact over the past three years with a lot of cousins.  I have gotten a family Bible, lots of pictures, stories, and more information than I dreamed possible.  I only hope that I have been able to give back to those who have helped me.  I hope it will bring more geneablogger friends that I can learn from and grow as a family history writer.  Those connections are what makes blogging fun.

One of my worries that first week of March in 2010 was that I would not find enough to write about to keep a blog going.  I haven't had that problem, yet.  I look forward to sharing many more stories with you and thank you all for continuing on this journey to the past.


7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Keep up the fabulous posting. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, Happy 3rd Blogiversary. It's been a nice journey for your readers who have enjoyed your posts. Congratulations to the nicest of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Thanks, Barbara. I appreciate your support and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 3 years of great blogging, Brenda. Well done!

    ReplyDelete