24 March 2012

Today's The Day: Allen County Public Library and Midwest Geneabloggers Meet-Up

I don't know which I am more excited about, researching at Allen County Public Library or the Spring Midwest Geneabloggers Meet-up. 

First, I need to thank Tina Lyons of Gen Wish List and Terri O'Connell of Finding Our Ancestors fame for organizing everything needed to make this possible.  I am looking forward to meeting new geneabloggers from the midwest area.

Fort Wayne, Indiana is an easy drive from Battle Creek, Michigan, my hometown.  One of about 100 miles .  I plan to drive down and back in one day.  I have done it many times in order to research at the library. 

I spent the last couple of weeks trying to prioritize what I hope to accomplish while there.  My past visits have been ones where I have tried to research many ancestors from different places.  This time I am narrowing my research down to three or four research plans.  I will tuck a list of additional references in my bag on the off chance I strike genealogical gold with my other plans and finish early. (A girl can dream, right?)  My problem is I go to the library with my list of references in hand and get absorbed in everything that is on the same shelf as the resource I am looking for.  I don't know how many times I have said, "Oooh, that looks good!"

One of the priorities of this visit will be looking up resources pertaining to Miami County, Indiana and my Graf family.  Then, I plan to move on to Vermont and my Powers line.  If time, I would like to check out "Amish and Amish Mennonite Genealogies" by Hugh Gingerich.  I look at this book everytime I go and I still have more clues to glean from it.  I should probably buy it, if I can find it.  It is out of print, now.

After a great day of research, the midwest geneabloggers will be meeting for fun, food, and foto's (hopefully!)   I checked the facebook page of who is going and was pleased to see a few geneabloggers I met in Springfield will be there.  Plus, lots of new faces. 

If you don't hear from me in a day or two, you will know I had so much fun I needed to recover from it.

1 comment:

  1. It was so great to see you again! I hope you had as much fun as I did. Thanks again for coming.

    ReplyDelete