It is hard to believe the year is almost half over. I decided to check up on how I was doing with my 2011 goals so I could plan my summer genealogy projects and stay motivated.
My 2011 genealogy goals are:
- Scan pictures! This is going very well. There are always more pictures to scan.
- Work on my brickwall, Daniel Fenn. I worked on this for awhile, but put it aside as it frustrates me and I believe a visit to Vermont is needed.
- Make a concentrated effort to source every fact as I add it to my software program. This is one I am doing very well on; it doesn't go into my software without a source.
- Visit Miami County, Indiana to research Casper and Mary Graf further. I thought I would do this during the summer, but our summer seems to be filling up. I guess I will have to make this a priority in August.
- Obtain my grandfather's, Otto August Fredrick, obituary. Completed.
- Attend a genealogical conference. Almost completed, I am registered for FGS in September. Hope to see you there.
- Start researching my son-in-law's ancestry. Since I wrote 'start researching', this is completed. I have researched his father's side and am working on his mother's.
- Talk to my mother and find out about family heirlooms in her possession. Completed, now she brings me stuff she thinks I might like to have from my aunt and others.
- Carve out a regular research time. This is the one I still struggle with. I feel I could do better. I have been having some thyroid troubles which causes me to be unmotivated at times, so I will attribute it to that!
- Make contact with newly discovered cousins and share information. Continuing to do this, and hope to continue discovering more cousins.
- Research myself! Add my personal facts to my genealogical software. Completed
I feel very good about 8 of the 11 goals. Number 2, I know, will not be completed. Number 4 needs to be scheduled and then I will get it done. And, number 9 is one I think I will continue to struggle with, but as long as I keep researching I don't think it matters if I do it on a regular basis or not.
This was my first year of setting goals. I have learned a lot. I think some of my goals were too general. I will set yearly goals again, as it truly motivates me and gives me a focus in my research. This isn't the only research I have done. So far 2011 has been a good genealogy year.