17 April 2011

The Restaurant Without a Name: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History

Week 16:  Restaurants. What was your favorite local restaurant as a child? Where was it located, and what was your favorite meal? Did you know the staff personally? What is your favorite restaurant now?


My family very rarely went out to eat when I was a child, but once a year we would go school shopping in Port Huron, Michigan.  Port Huron was about 50 miles from my hometown of Deckerville, Michigan and had all the big stores:  Sears, Sperry's, Penney's, etc.  There wasn't a mall to go to in the sixties.

We would make a day of it.  We would park and shop at the Sears store.  We would walk across the street to this little teal blue restaurant.  The waitresses wore white uniforms with the little frilly aprons.  I remember the restaurant as being narrow with booths and counter service.  Now, why can't I remember the name of it?  I asked my sister and my parents and none of them could come up with the name.  It will probably come to me in the middle of the night or some such time.

I would always order a toasted tuna sandwich.  I thought it was such a treat.  I don't remember anything else that I would order but that.  It was usually just my mom, sister, Linda and I.  Sometimes, my dad would go.  I felt like such a grown up ordering off a menu and having someone bring it to the booth.

I came from a small town, so a trip to the 'city' was always a special treat and the restaurant with no name was something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment