02 April 2011

Here Comes The Sun

Week 14: Spring. What was spring like where and when you grew Up? Describle not only the clinmate, but how the season influenced your activities and food choices.
 The Beatle's song, "Here Comes The Sun", says it best-"it's been a long cold lonely winter! Winter in the midwest can last until April and as a child that meant lots of time indoors without friends.

Where I grew up, in Michigan, springtime was delightful. The weather improved, even rain was favored over the cold, wet, snow of the winter. Spring brought crocus, daffodils, tulips and other spring flowers. I use to explore outside to find new growth. I remember one time walking around the block and it was kind of muddy. I stepped in a tire rut and lost my boot! It was early enough in Spring that you still had to wear boots. Of course, I put my foot down in the mud to bend over to lift my boot out. And then, I lost my sock. Of course, I fished my sock out, put it on and put it in my boot! I imagine anyone watching me would have been laughing. Needless to say, I made a mess. I am sure my mother loved having to clean that up.

Outside activities became more fun as the weather warmed up. I remember flying kites, riding bikes, shooting marbles, blowing bubbles, jumping rope, and playing hopscotch with friends. (Mostly things that were in our Easter baskets!) We would meet at someone's house, or the local park. The park had tennis courts we could play on. Someone usually had chalk and we would find rocks to throw for hopscotch. If we could play outside, we did, in the Springtime.

The four seasons are one of the pluses of living in Michigan and springtime air is one that all Michiganders look forward to smelling after what is usually a long winter. All I have to say is "sun, sun, sun, here it comes"

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right
It's all right

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin, of the We Tree blog, is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment