Corner of Black River Street and Quince Street
Photograph Courtesy of google.com
I enjoyed writing Week 4 of 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History so much I decided to create floor plans and descriptions for the second home I lived in. This home was on Black River Street in Deckerville, Sanilac, Michigan. It was across the street from the village park. This is one of my favorite homes that I lived in.
Sitting on the back porch that led to the kitchen.
It was a two story, three bedroom, one bath with a full basement house. It had two porches on the back side of house and an attached one car garage. I remember the back yard was surrounded by pine trees.
To the right of the entry way was the living room. The living room ran the width of the house. There was a fireplace on one wall and a door to a nice little porch to the back yard. I think the dining room and living room had wood floors with rugs over them.
Some of the memories I have of this house include:
- seeing a snake in the space between the steps and the porch as you entered the back door into the kitchen, I freaked out and could barely explain to my dad what I was so excited about.
- having a birthday party, must have been my seventh or eighth one, with school friends
- walking to school, this was a little further of a walk than the first house we lived in.
- going across the street and playing on the swings at the park.
- watching the nuns come to the flower shop, which was across the street and next to the park. We didn't have a catholic church in Deckerville, so this seemed so foreign and a little scary to me. This was in the days when they wore the full 'Sound of Music' black habits
- walking through a opening in the trees and going to the neighbors yard, they had rabbits and let me feed them sometimes.
- crying in my closet after learning that my Grandma Bell died, my mom came in and asked if I was ok, of course, I said yes. I remember holding the skirt grandma had bought me.
- this is the house where I learned that there wasn't a Santa. I wrote about it here.
- waking up in the night and learning that someone had been stabbed on the sidewalk in front of our house.
- riding my bike all over the neighborhood, including the time my mom told me I could go for a bike ride but I was not to go uptown! Guess what I did-yep, I went uptown and got hit by a car. I wasn't hurt at all, and kept on riding. The lady who hit me went to my house and told my mom. I could hear my mom yelling for me blocks away. I didn't want to go home! But, I did. I may have gotten my bike taken away from me for awhile, I don't really remember.