28 January 2011

Where Were You on January 28, 1986?

In Memory- (front row) Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair;
 (back row) Ellison Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik.


Today commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Challenger explosion.  Do you remember where you were when this happened?  I remember it very clearly, including the sinking feeling I had in my stomach.  I was teaching preschool at the time and the parents were dropping their children off.  One parent asked if I had heard about the Challenger explosion.  I hadn't.  I had the overwhelming urge to call my husband.  I had my aide take over the class for a few minutes and I went to call Kirk.  Kirk was home sick that day and I asked if he had heard about it, he hadn't. 

One might wonder why I would have an urge to call my husband.  All I could think of was Christa McAuliffe, the teacher in space.  Kirk had applied for the teacher in space project!  I was thinking of what might have been.  Kirk and I talked for a couple of minutes and then I headed back into the classroom.  I put it out of my mind as I didn't want to scare the four year olds I was teaching.  Once I got home, I was glued to the television. 

My thoughts and memories are with the families of those who gave their life that day:  Michael Smith,  Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnick, and Christa McAuliffe. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I agree they should be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the phone call and than the television coverage. My fifth grade class was studing the mission in science. Your blog honors their memories.

    ReplyDelete