He had at least three siblings who came to the United States. A sister, Henriette married John Zobel and lived in Manistee, Manistee, Michigan. Another sister, Amelia, married Leo Englehuber and a third, who's first name I don't know, married August Guske. I have tried researching his sisters in order to break through this brickwall. I have found a few facts about their families, but nothing to suggest who their parents were or where they came from.
(Source: 1920 U.S. Census,Michigan, Manistee, Population Schedule, Dickson Township,
ED 61, p 4A, dwelling 71, August J Fredrick.)
According to the 1920 U.S. Census, Johann, known as August, immigrated to the United States in 1872. He settled in the Manistee, Manistee, Michigan area. He worked in a sawmill when he first arrived here. He was naturalized in 1909 but, unfortunately, the naturalization records for Manistee county have been destroyed.
(Source: Manistee, Michigan, marriage certificate no. 653 L.2 p44, Johann August Fredrick and Louise Fredrike Zastrow; Manistee County Clerk Office, Manistee, Michigan.)
Family stories tell of him sending back to his homeland for a bride. In April of 1875, Louise Fredrike Zastrow arrived to marry J. August, whom she had never met. Johann August Fredrick, age 30, and Louise Fredrike Zastrow, age 19, were married 8 May 1875 in Manistee, Manistee, Michigan. Louise's brother, John, and August Tose were witnesses. Reverend Herman Lemke officiated. (The person copying the information in 2007 read the L as S on my copy of the certificate.) Reverend Hermann Lemke was pastor of the German Lutheran Church in Manistee, for many years.
August and Louise Fredrick Family
L-R: Alma, Mary, August, Louise, Leonard, unknown, Emma,
William, Otto August (holding Katherine Fredricks, his daughter)
August and Louise Fredrick had eight children:
- Emma A Fredrick, born in 1876, married James Chalmers.
- Otto August Fredrick, my maternal grandfather, born in 1878, married Daisy Ellen Graf.
- Mary H. Fredrick, born in 1884, married John Bruce.
- William L. Fredrick, born in 1890.
- Alma Fredrick, born in 1893, married Joseph Prantle.
- Leonard 'Sonny' August Fredrick, born in 1897, married Elizabeth Pearl Smith.
- Leonia Fredrick, born in 1897, died in 1899.
- Augusta 'Gustie' Fredrick, married H.A. Breen.
J. August Fredrick died, at home, on 27 January 1924, of bronchitis. He was considered a pioneer of Manistee county. He was one of the oldest settlers of the county.
I found two obituaries for J. August Fredrick.
- Aged Pioner Passes Away at Dickson was found in the 1 February 1924, Pioneer Press, Bear Lake, Manistee, Michigan
- Aged Dickson Farmer Dies was found in 28 January 1924, Manistee News Advocate, Manistee, Manistee, Michigan.