02 December 2010

Advent Calendar: Holiday Foods

December 2 – Holiday Foods:  Did your family or ancestors serve traditional dishes for the holidays? Was there one dish that was unusual?

Food was always a big part of the Christmas holiday when I was growing up.  My mother is an excellent cook and made most things from scratch.  I acquired my love of cooking from her.  I don't remember any traditional dishes being made, but I remember the goodies my mom would bake.  Fudge, cookies, and fruit  breads were always around during the holidays. 

These two recipes are one's I use today, they are both from my mother.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup oleo(margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
3 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream margarine and sugar together.  Add egg.  Add sour cream and vanilla.  Mix flour, soda and salt together.  Stir into creamed mixture .  Chill for 30 minutes for easier rolling.  Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut out with cookie cutters.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Cool and decorate as desired.

Milk Chocolate Fudge Mix 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and 1-7 ounce jar marshmallow topping in heavy 2 quart pan.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce to medium when bubbles appear all over the top.  Stir 8 minutes.  Remove from heat and add 2 cups milk chocolate chips.  Stir until melted.  Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup chopped nuts.  Pour into greased 8 inch pan.  Cool thoroughly.

2 comments:

  1. I love sour cream sugar cookies! I may have to make some this year, or talk one of my daughters into making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greta They are a family favorite in our house, I usually double the recipe for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete