24 December 2010

Advent Calendar: Christmas Eve

I started my Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories by asking my children to guest blog and decided it would be a good way to end it for this year.  Here are Kirsten and Travis' memories of Christmas Eve.

Kirsten
Keeping with the tradition of the Glover women loving to present elaborate spreads that would put any foodie in a food coma, comes Christmas Eve.  Always hosted by my Grandma Glover.  The number of family members and traditions changed slightly through the years starting with a buffet of appetizers, snacks, and desserts and then gradually shifting to a grown up dinner featuring steak and multiple kinds of potatoes and fruit salads.  The one constant?  Wrapped Christmas ornaments, candy canes, and that tiny Christmas china dish filled with red and green M&Ms...

Travis
Christmas eve was a great tradition of going over to my Grandma and Grandpa Glover's house.  We got to open our gifts from that side of the family.  Every year we made the drive over to Portage, Michigan and arrived to grandma making way more food than we needed.  My grandparents have given all the grandchildren a hallmark line ornaments every year.  Each year I would try to open that first so the surprise would not be ruined by my cousin opening the same gift before me.

3 comments:

  1. Red & Green M&M's and Hallmark ornaments - it's that little things that stand out sometimes.

    A Very Merry Christmas to my Glover cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Apple. I hope you and your family have a joyous Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a Merry Christmas! It is the little things that matter to us most when we look back on our childhood Christmas memories. For me it the mixture of Chocolate and Lemon pies my grandma used to make!

    ReplyDelete