09 August 2010

Hattie's Bible: First Look

I have calmed down from my previous excitement of receiving Hattie's Bible.  Plus, I have made good use of the time since I received it.  My main goal upon receiving it was to preserve it for future generations and to share the information that was in the bible.

For preservation, I chose a metal edge archival quality box from Hollinger Metal Edge.  I had to order a much larger box than needed because of the size of the bible.  The bible is 10 inches by 14 inches by 4 1/2 inches.  Finding a box that is 4 1/2 inches deep was hard.  I purchased acid free tissue paper, too.  I plan to store the bible at home.

I have, gingerly, gone through the bible, one page at a time.  I removed anything that was stored loosely in the pages of the bible.  I found pictures, newpaper clippings, a marriage certificate, and  telegraphs.  Those are stored in acid free sleeve protectors.  I transcribed the birth, wedding and death information written in the center of the bible.

For sharing, I plan to blog about the specific contents of Hattie's Bible.  Also, Carol, the daughter of the women who gave me Hattie's Bible, emailed me asking what I thought about sharing the bible records online with a site such as Bible Records Online.  I thought it was a wonderful idea.  Has anyone used a site such as this for their bible records?  What do you think?

Again, I am so happy to be the keeper of this family treasure.  Please check back to see the contents of Hattie's Bible.

4 comments:

  1. Always nice to have a follow-up along with some new sites, like Hollinger and Bible Records Online. I did a quick scan of the records, and I also believe it would be a great site to place the Bible photos there. I can't wait to get back to the Young Bible page, it might be useful. So, thank you so much. No Farmers tho, (only you know what that is about).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a brief scan of the Bible website. I need to spend a little more time checking for other records there. When I get a minute I plan on submitting my records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the site, If I run across a bible, I right away check to see if tree is recorded in there. It would be nice to have a place to post the information I see in one, cause I just can't buy all the orphan bibles.
    You inspired me for a post.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rootdigger-you are welcome! I will look forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete