12 July 2010

Hattie's Bible

I have written in the past about how generous I thought genealogists are, but nothing can compare to the recent generosity I have been the recipient of-my great grandmother's family Bible.

In January 2010, I saw a posting on genealogy.com from someone researching the Fenn family, the same family in my ancestry.  I contacted, Carol, via email and explained our common ancestry.  I asked her if she would be interested in sharing information.  She emailed me back and said she was interested. Yay!

We exchanged what information we had on the Fenn family over a few weeks.  Then, one March day, she told me she had been visiting her mother's home.  Her mother opened a chest, that Carol didn't even know opened, and brought out three family Bibles.  As I continued to read her email I was brought to tears.  One of the Bibles was my great grandmother's, Hattie Fenn Glover.  Now, as if it isn't enough that the Bible is in existence, Carol's mother wanted to know if I would like the Bible.  I couldn't say 'yes' fast enough.  I felt honored, privileged and so excited.  Carol's mother wanted the Bible to go to someone in Hattie Fenn's direct line.  Carol and her mother were descendants of Hattie Fenn's brother, Tully.

In the same email Carol had sent pictures of my great grandparent's, Frank H. Glover and Hattie Fenn Glover, on their wedding day.  I cannot begin to put into words what that email meant to me.  I never thought I would see pictures of my great grandparents from the Glover side.

The logistics of getting the Bible had to be worked out as the three of us lived in different parts of the state. So, I waited patiently. (really, I did)  On June 24th I got a call saying the Bible was in Marshall, Michigan, just 10 miles away.  Of course,  I wasn't available to go get it until June 27th.  I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

June 27th arrives and we are having a thunderstorm.  Nothing was going to keep me from getting this Bible.  I put a rubbermaid container(to keep it dry) in the car and off my husband and I went.  I'm not sure he trusted me to drive home in all my excitement.  By the time we got to Marshall, the rain had let up.  The Bible was at Carol's aunt's home, a first cousin, twice removed of mine.  I visited and shared a few stories and picked up the Bible to go home.  The Bible was boxed up and it was a lot heavier than I thought.

I was so excited.  I couldn't wait to get home and open it.  My mind was spinning.  Should I wear gloves when I open it?  Is it OK to take pictures of it?  How fragile is it? Will I be able to look at the pages? How should I store it?





The condition of the Bible wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  The front and back covers were in rough shape, but the inside binding was OK.  I gingerly unwrapped it and the first thing I saw was pages of pictures.  I had opened the back cover, first. 



I have been very carefully examining the contents of the Bible.  I have ordered an archival safe box, tissue, and sheet protectors to store it in.  I will share the contents of it in future posts. 

How do you ever thank someone for a gift that means the world to me?  Words don't seem enough.  So, I guess I will be a good caretaker of this treasure and see that it is saved for future generations.  I will continue to research the Fenn family and share whatever I find with my 'cousins'- it is the least I can do.

6 comments:

  1. Brenda, what a wonderful story. And to have your great-grandmothers Bible WITH photos is about the nicest thing. With all that you've helped me with, I'm glad you've received something nice in return, even tho it is from somebody else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, How fortunate you are to have such a treasure! I don't know which is more exciting the Bible or the pictures. I bet you didn't sleep a wink waiting for that day. It's wonderful that your Great Grandma's things will be with someone that will have a deep appreciation for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda. I am so happy for you. What a treasure you now have. Bonus - with pictures! You must be so thrilled.

    Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the kind words. I agree, it is truly a treasure, one I am so grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was truly a genealogical Christmas Present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia, Thank you for following my blog. Yes it was the best kind of present.

    ReplyDelete