27 March 2010

Surname Saturday: Graf

The surname Graf is German in origin. It has been found written as Graf, Graff,Grav, Grafe, and Graaf. The Graf side of my family arrived in the United States in the mid 1800's coming from Rockenhausen, Germany. The first Graf ancestor in my family to come to the United States was Casper Graf. His son, Valentine Graf is my great grandfather. Casper Graf settled in the Miami County area of Indiana. Valentine Graf and his family moved to Manistee County, Michigan in the early 1900's.

4 comments:

  1. We all know Steffie... any relation? Bet you've never been asked that before. Ha! Thanks for sharing!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of Back to the Homeplace
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I have never figured out where in the Graf family Steffie fits. I have enough trouble keeping all the Johann Graf's straightened out. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, we are obviously related because this is my family too. Would love to chat sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Haley, I would love to hear how you fit in the Graf family. Feel free to contact me at brae957@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete